[NCLUG] using Bayesian networks for simple systems debugging?

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 09:53:14 MDT 2007

Interesting concept.

If you could figure out something like this, you could compete directly with
Cisco's claim of the self-healing network (to which I laugh), and offer a
level of managed services that a lot of places would jump at, or better yet,
technology that would be snapped up in a heartbeat by a lot of existing
managed services vendors.  We just signed on with one that the backend is
Linux based, and has extensive monitoring for Routers, Switches (well, layer
3 and up) and of course Windows and Linux desktops and servers - we're
pretty excited about it, frankly.

I remember seeing something a few years ago that was a similar concept but I
don't think they used any kind of 'rules' based sniffers- it was much more
of an SOA assurance tool, incredibly expensive, as I recall.

-DJ