[NCLUG] filtering DNS proxy ?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Thu Aug 16 18:58:36 MDT 2007

Gabriel Somlo wrote:
> I'm looking for a DNS proxy that would match requests against some
> set of rules, and either
>     - forward the request to a *real* recursive DNS server, or
>     - return a "fake" response based on the rule matched, or

Depending upon what you want to do you could set up a zone master or
slave and then if the server knew the answer it would answer it or if
not then it would forward it.

Also I think that for what you are asking that "stub zones" could be
used.

>     - drop the request on the floor, return some sort of error, etc.
> depending on the target of the rule.

This I don't know.  Perhaps with split dns views.  Or perhaps in
conjuction with linux kernel netfilter iptables rules.

> Does anyone know whether such an animal even exists, and, if so, where
> can I find it ?

It would be interesting to know what you are wanting to do.

Bob