[NCLUG] filtering DNS proxy ?

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Thu Aug 16 20:32:26 MDT 2007

Gabriel Somlo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for a DNS proxy that would match requests against some
> set of rules, and either
>     - forward the request to a *real* recursive DNS server, or
>     - return a "fake" response based on the rule matched, or

There are configuration options in BIND9 that can do these things...
Conditional forwarding, and overriding sub-trees of the name space with
your own authoritative zones.

>     - drop the request on the floor, return some sort of error, etc.
> depending on the target of the rule.

Why would you need to do that?  Is this for some test scenarios?  I've
been doing complex DNS implementations for some 10+ years and have never
run across a situation that called for this in reality.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan                                   -> milli at acmeps.com
Acme Professional Services LLC                        970-581-9948