[NCLUG] /etc/environment

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Sun Aug 19 17:11:38 MDT 2007

I agree the new syntax is better, offset by lack of backward portability
when older systems must also be supported.

John

	> Note that in today's modern shells I would recommend doing math
	> directly in $((...)) expressions.

	And other shell expansions, using $(...), rather than ``, which are
	harder to read (in my opinion), and don't nest.  The addition of $() was
	a great leap forward.  Example:

	    foo="$(echo 'abc' $(wc -l bar))"

	Dunno if the "" are necessary, but they don't hurt, might be needed in
	some cases, and make it easier to read (again, in my opinion).

	Alan Silverstein