[NCLUG] Intel open source drivers

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Jan 26 22:33:20 MST 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 12:48:25AM -0700, Michael Milligan wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
> > Is there anyone out there that actively seeks out Intel chipsets for 3D
> > accelerated graphics adapters and wireless networking adapters, for
> > purposes of more easily getting full functionality and/or supporting the
> > only major hardware vendor providing open source drivers for these
> > products?  I wonder why I don't hear more about it, if so.  I wonder why
> > not, if not.
>
> On the point of graphics, I can't think of a time I've had a /need/ for
> an Intel 3D graphics driver.  In servers, who cares, a text console is
> all I /need/.  On any desktop boxes I've built, I don't bother with
> Intel 3D because nVidia and ATI are so far ahead, so I don't /need/ an
> Intel driver there.  And I prefer nVidia over ATI for their proprietary
> driver stability/reliability.  nVidia has decent QA there.  Can't say
> the same for ATI.  In laptops, I'm a Stinkpad fan, so I've had to deal
> only with ATI there.

I'm not entirely sure any of that was particularly relevant to what I
asked.  The focus of my attention was on open source driver availability
for 3D accelerated graphics.  As far as nVidia and ATI are concerned,
though, I've somehow never managed to find myself in a position to own a
GeForce card -- everything has been Radeon and FireGL for me and, aside
from the fact that driver installation was a pain in the behind, and the
fact that the thought of using proprietary drivers in my open source
operating system makes me cringe, I haven't had any complaints.

> I can't comment on the wireless front because I've always gone with
> cards that are Prism- or Atheros-chipset based.
>
> Proprietary drivers are a pain.

I definitely won't disagree there.  That's part of the reason I brought
up the subject of Intel's open source drivers.

"There comes a time in the history of any project when it becomes necessary
to shoot the engineers and begin production." - MacUser, November 1990