[NCLUG] Intel open source drivers

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Jan 26 22:51:33 MST 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 10:03:46AM -0700, Warren Turkal wrote:
> On Thursday 25 January 2007 16:08, Chad Perrin wrote:
> > Is there anyone out there that actively seeks out Intel chipsets for 3D
> > accelerated graphics adapters and wireless networking adapters, for
> > purposes of more easily getting full functionality and/or supporting the
> > only major hardware vendor providing open source drivers for these
> > products?  I wonder why I don't hear more about it, if so.  I wonder why
> > not, if not.
>
> On my last laptop purchase, I specifically sought out ipw2200 and Intel IGA
> graphics for the very reasons you detail. I got a screaming deal on a Gateway
> (which I won't buy again) at Best Buy. I had to pay the MS tax, of course,
> but the wireless and the graphics works as well or better than any other open
> source driver. I will have to say that the Intel drivers cannot run
> Flightgear, which is pretty disappointing, but light 3D seems to work okay.
> For reference, my laptop was purchase in December of 2005.

I guess I must not have been looking in the right places, because until
now I hadn't heard of laptops using Intel graphics chipsets.  Then
again, I keep finding myself looking at Thinkpads and Macs, and choosing
the Thinkpads, over and over again.

Thanks for the information.  I'll add it to what I'm learning.

"It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could actually
spend Saturday afternoon watching a football game." - Marvin Minsky