[NCLUG] ns errors

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Jul 6 11:59:57 MDT 2007

Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found a site to check my server (www.dnsstuff.com) and it offers a
> free check for things like open relays and what not. A couple of
> NS errors it found are shown below. I'm using no-ip.com to point to my
> machine (I have a dynamic IP). Are these really problems and is there
> a way to get more info about them? Also, are these problems something
> I'm doing wrong or do I need to talk to no-ip?

Where is your domain registered? Do you control registration, or no-ip?

If you control it, then if you can, you probably want to add
ns4.no-ip.com and ns5.no-ip.com into the list of NS servers for your
domain. That should clear up most of the issues. Note that if you do
this, you should check with no-ip.com that they want those other servers
listed there; for example, dyndns.org provides something like 5 servers
total for me, but requires a specific subset be listed if I can't list
all of them.

However, my guess is that you can't do that - If I Recall Correctly, my
registrar only allows me to list 3 of the 5 name-servers for my domain,
so I'm probably in the same situation as you.

Otherwise, assuming no-ip.com is clueful and keeps the data on all those
servers nicely in sync, I suspect you can just ignore all these
"problems"; they mostly indicate that bad things can happen *if* the
multiple servers are out-of-sync, which should never happen, since
no-ip.com should manage them all as one, and keep them in sync.

The only thing I might want to track down is item 2; why dnsstuff.com
thinks some of your multiple servers might be the same machine. Maybe
the tests are flawed. Maybe no-ip.com failed over one of their NS
machines' records for another temporarily due to maintenance. Maybe
there's a real issue...