[NCLUG] permanent IP addresses on a home LAN?

S. Luke Jones slukejones at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 22:25:59 MDT 2007

I once had a 10/100Base-T switch + router that let me configure its
DHCP server to assign IP addresses by MAC address. I replaced 10*BaseT
with 802.3g or whatever you call WiFi and could never go back, but my
wireless router doesn't let me configure the DHCP server that way.

And I miss it. In particular, I miss it whenever we have a power
outage and machines come back online in nondeterministic order, and
get IP addresses at random, and all my .ssh/known_hosts lines become
wrong, and I have to think a lot harder before I do things like rsync
-av --delete . 192.168.2.101:work

Could anyone recommend a way -- assuming there even is a one -- of
overcoming the lack in my Wireless router and getting dynamically
assigned IP addresses to be less dynamic and more static-ish?

(No, it doesn't have anything to do with Linux, although one of the
machines in question does run Linux.)
--
Luke Jones  slukejones at gmail.com (609)439-7856