[NCLUG] Hello all!

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Mar 3 10:04:12 MST 2007

Warren Turkal wrote:
> Mica Fine wrote:
> > I am going to be venturing into a dual boot with vista and Fedora Core 6.
> > If any one has any pointers I would be grateful. I would like to pull out
> > as little hair as possible.
>
> If it's like prior Windows versions, try to install Windows first. It makes
> the process easier.

Disk drives are inexpensive enough that when I need to do this I
usually dedicate an entire drive to each.  Then when installing
windows it never knows that it is not the only system on the machine.
And I know that when I have physically unplugged the other drive that
windows can't mess with it, having had a bad experience years ago I am
now once burned and twice shy.  After installing windows then I attach
the additional drive for the real operating system.

Newer distros usually automatically detect the MS partitions and do
the right thing with them so you might want to install the dumb os
first and the smart os second.

I would be curious if anyone had played with ReactOS.

  http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

It is MS-like, not Unix-like, and so not something that I personally
am interested in.  But it is a free alternative to ms and so I might
eventually give it a try.

Bob