[NCLUG] Hello all!

Warren Turkal wt at penguintechs.org
Mon Mar 5 15:50:04 MST 2007

On Monday 05 March 2007 15:03, Goodman,Darrin wrote:
> After briefly looking at the ReactOS website, even though they state on the
> homepage that it is a "ground-up implementation of a Microsoft Windows XP
> compatible operating system," after flipping through the tour of their OS,
> it sure looks pretty identical to a generic Linux distro.  There is even a
> screenshot of the Dillo web browser, which I believe is only available for
> Linux.  I wonder if they are billing the OS as being "compatible" to Win XP
> so that the average Windows user might be more inclined to try it; some
> might hear the word "Linux" and run the other way.  Not that I am going to
> run out and try it either, after a quick glance, it sure looks like Linux
> to me.

ReactOS is not a Linux-based OS at all. Wine and ReactOS share a lot of code,
and ReactOS basically adds all the pieces to make it into a legitimate OS. It
is interesting and seems to work decently well, but it is very picky about
the hardware that can be used with it right now. They have a generic Vesa
driver, so you should be able to at least boot it on almost any computer.
Eventually, I believe they want to get the binary Windows drivers working
with it. However, only a small number of them currently work.

wt
--
Warren Turkal (w00t)