[NCLUG] comcast blocking port 25?

Warren Turkal wt at penguintechs.org
Wed Mar 7 11:21:14 MST 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 11:46, Dennis Clark wrote:
>    I guess I'm lucky that I can't get DSL or Cable networking
> connections.  I use a wireless broadband service (MESA Networks) that
> has no such TOS restrictions on my network usage.  My ISP is FRII so I
> use MESA strictly as the "wire" between my house and the 'net.  Of
> course this mish-mash of independents costs me about $600 a year, so
> freedom isn't exactly free...

Speakeasy doesn't have any such restrictions on their DSL, so I use them. They
are $584.30/year. This includes a static IP, and an extremely liberal
wireless use policy. They actually encourage sharing as long as you don't
charge. They also have a program where you can charge, but they keep 20% of
the revenue.

However, my apartment complex also offers some kind of service. There were two
problems with their TOS, though. One, they specifically say you can't use
Linux, with language that sounds like people running Linux aren't responsible
enough or smart enough to keep their system patched for security. Two, they
don't allow servers. This service is $20/mon and might be useful for casual
users.

The cool thing is that my apartment has home run wiring for Cat5 to each room.
The apartment Internet will wire up one port for you. I have a switch that
connects to all 5 ports, so I have easy wired Internet for my servers and
wireless for my laptops.

wt
--
Warren Turkal (w00t)