[NCLUG] Re: Who uses SUDO on production machines?

mike loseke mike.loseke at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 10:27:20 MDT 2007

The use of SUDO, along with the black-and-white view of system security, is
subjective to a great many things. Everyone should evaluate the tools and
policies they are putting in place to make sure that they meet the
requirements of the need/project/system/site/etc. There is no global right
or wrong - we'll save that for the vi/emacs discussions :).

Personally, I dislike SUDO. For the work I do, like Sean, I get that "are
you about to do something dangerous" type of mindset when I'm working on a
system that I'm responsible for. That's not to say that I champion it's
avoidance. There are situations where it's a very good solution. When it
*is* used, great care needs to be taken to set it up properly so that the
system itself is protected at the level it needs to be for that application
and that the users for whom it is setup can do the work they need to do
successfully. Applications like Sean mentioned are an excellent example of
this.

The same with security. As the old saying goes, the only secure system is
the one encased in concrete and dropped into the deepest part of the ocean.
Unfortunately, usability and access have been traded off the scale in favor
of that absolute. There are applications, like home users, or labs (R&D, not
students), where security of almost any sort is not a concern. In most
cases, these systems may not be networked or will be firewalled into their
own little network cave, but here we're trading off these other things like
access/usability for slackened security - which in the proper place can
improve usability.

Anytime you're looking to setup a system, the security of that system needs
to be taken into account anytime any usability/access issues arise. If it's
on the open net, it deserves as much attention to making it secure as can be
applied to it or you'll be rebuilding the system and cleaning up after it at
least several times a year. If it's on the bench in your garage and you're
using it to control battlin' lego-bots then you have a different focus.

Anyway, just saying that even though many people will champion a
black-and-white view of any of these topics, you as the person/group
responsible for that system need to consider the tools to be used and the
levels of security to put in place.

And always verify your backups.