[NCLUG] RE: NCLUG No Happy Beeps

nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net
Thu Mar 22 13:07:25 MDT 2007

Thank you for the reply Chad,

I could cut down on my use of the
root account by having my regular
user as the owner of the BOINC
(SETI at home) software. But this
program is installed in /usr/local/BOINC...

Root owns /usr and /usr/local...
Am I right that subdirectories
under /usr/local must be owned
by root as well? I tried running
BOINC as a regular user and got
a message saying that another
instance of BOINC was running.

Would I be better off installing
BOINC at /home/myuser... ?

About the wireless card, I've got
pcmciautils up and running.
Cardmanager is turned off whenever
I boot the 2.6x kernel ... yenta_socket
is getting loaded in 2.6x sessions
but I'm still not getting happy
beeps. Instead, I get 'network unreachable'
So far no joy via Google or LinuxQuestions.org

Any other thoughts welcome.

Shorter

--original message follows---
On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 12:55:19PM -0800, nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net
wrote:

> And, apropos why not always run as root
> discussion [thank you everybody] I log
> in as root, run dhcpcd to get an address,
> resume a SETI at home work unit as root,
> switch to a second terminal, log in
> as my regular non-root user, startx, browse
> the Internet ... check credit card balance,
> log out of X, log off the terminal, switch
> back to first terminal, stop SETI at home,
> and shut down. Is this best practice, or no?

Sorry, I don't have anything to offer right now on your wireless
issue,
but I'll respond to this:

I don't see anything in particular wrong with that approach, as long
as
you don't accidentally type something destructive in at the root TTY
later. Considering it seems you're running a TTY with root logged in,
and doing your day-to-day stuff in X, though, that looks unlikely.

This is an "off the top of my head" answer. It has not been tested or
thoroughly analyzed. Your mileage may vary.

Dial Broadband has arrived Nationwide! Up to 5 times faster than traditional dialup connections from $13.33/month! See the demo for yourself at <a href="http://www.BigValley.net">www.BigValley.net</a>