[NCLUG] Looking for an editor

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon May 7 20:43:26 MDT 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 09:49:13AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
>Vim ships with 'xxd' which is more of a classic hex dump program.

Unlike od, xxd can convert back from the hex dump to binary.  This is why
it's useful to vim, vim edits binary files by dumping them to a hex text
file, which you edit and then it converts it back.  I presume Bob knows
this, since it was rhetorical, but others might find the ability to convert
back useful in other contexts.

 These go to eleven.
                 -- _This_is_Spinal_Tap_