[NCLUG] local end-user support

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Wed Nov 7 17:40:27 MST 2007

Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 02:05:31PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>> I even saw Linux systems for sale at a local retail store (I don't want
>> to mention names but it referred to a post-medieval artistic revival
>> period). I asked if they would support the system if I bought it and
>> they said yes, not sure if that was true though.
>
> Holy crap.  Computer R- . . . err, I mean "electronic general purpose
> information management automation device post-medieval artisticl revival
> period" . . . sells (and claims to support) Linux-based systems?  I'm,
> err, stunned.
>
> Seriously.
>
> I wonder how long ago this happened.

This was a few weeks ago. I was just looking for something they turned
out to not have (an RS-MMC card). I noticed a couple of used machines
that had signs stating they were Linux boxes, not Windows.

This surprised me, so I asked if they supported the machines. I got a
"yeah sure", but I suspect that did not really mean the kind of support
you are talking about. Itprobably meant if it was DOA they'd take it back.

Still, I was happy to see any sort of Linux box offered for sale in a
retail environment.

beww