[NCLUG] local end-user support

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Wed Nov 7 17:48:09 MST 2007

Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 01:40:00PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>> All true, but the key phrase was "around here".
>
> There was another key term: "end-user".
>

>> There are plenty of outfits offering this type of support for Linux and
>> Open Source systems, and even some "around here". While I don't mean to
>> single them out for a plug, tummy.com is local and offers this sort of
>> thing I believe, but I'm sure there are others.
>
> I wasn't under the impression tummy.com provided direct end-user support
> (which mostly means "Aunt Tillie", who can look up a provider of support
> and say "My computer keeps crashing.  I need help!").

I guess your definition of "end user" differs from mine. To me "end
user" is somebody running a mail or web server, or perhaps a database
server for their office.

To my mind you are talking about a "consumer", or a "windows weenie".

It's difficult to make a profit supporting consumers when the value of
your service exceeds what they paid for their hardware. Linspire is
trying this sort of thing, but I don't think they offer hardware support.

Firedog must be profitable though, given how hard they push it.

You know you are a computer nut when you see a bumper sticker that says
"users are losers" and the thought of drugs never enters your mind :-)

beww