[NCLUG] OSS a Hard Sell to Consumers

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Thu Nov 8 14:00:31 MST 2007

It was mentioned here that consumers often hesitate to use free
software. Too true.

I recently installed OpenOffice on a friends machine, and showed him how
it could handle his spreadsheets, word documents etc.

"Great", he said, reaching for his credit card, "I'll buy it right now,
how much?".

When I told him it was free he started to hesitate, and it took me a
while to try and explain the situation. I'm still not sure he believes me.

I gave a copy of "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" to a CSU Economics prof
a couple of weeks ago (the book, not just the essay), he's still shaking
his head.

Oh well, I keep trying.

beww