[NCLUG] local end-user support

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Nov 9 14:54:41 MST 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 01:21:08PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:

> Certainly as far as the server vendor is concerned I am the "end user".

Actually, that's where I draw the line between "user" and "end user".

> > Even if there are limits on who they'll support, I'd still be interested
> > in the existence of non-MS/non-Apple third party support providers.
>
> Certainly Sun Microsystems supports Solaris systems, as do a lot of
> third-party consultants.
>
> IBM, HP and possibly others will support Linux systems they have sold.
>
> Oracle will help you troubleshoot problems with their software installed
> on a Linux system, even if the problem is OS related, as long as it's
> one of their "supported" Linux distros and you haven't mucked with it
> (much).

Those aren't really examples of "third party" support, though -- except
in the case of Solaris consultants.  They're all supporting something
they've sold.  Even in Oracle's case, it's not so much the OS they're
supporting as their own software -- though sometimes they have to offer
some help getting the platform working before the software will run.

MacUser, Nov. 1990: "There comes a time in the history of any project when
it becomes necessary to shoot the engineers and begin production."