[NCLUG] Re: NCLUG Digest, Vol 140, Issue 11

James Bragonier james.bragonier at comcast.net
Sat Nov 10 23:22:22 MST 2007

nclug-request at nclug.org wrote:
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: OSS a Hard Sell to Consumers (Paul Hummer)
>    2. There will never be one OS to rule them all (Paul Hummer)
>    3. Re: Re: Thoughts on Linux Users (Sean Reifschneider)

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:21:08 -0700
> From: Paul Hummer <paul at eventuallyanyway.com>
> Subject: Re: [NCLUG] OSS a Hard Sell to Consumers
> To: Northern Colorado Linux Users Group <nclug at nclug.org>
>
> Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> Sean Reifschneider wrote:

>>> But yet it seems that many consumers will pirate rather than purchase the
>>> commercial software.  Oh the irony...
>>>

>> That's it! Advertise OSS software on the net for thousands of dollars,
>> then post "hints" to "pirate" sites.
>>
>> It should be in use by the entire world in mere weeks.
>>
> This worked really well for me. *shrug*
>
> When I was considering Linux, I found a product called Win4Lin (not sure
> if it's still around) that allowed you to run Linux inside Windows (so I
> could learn the system).  It was not free, and I spent HOURS trying to
> download it, to no avail (I now realize it must have simply been a VM
> type setup).  Finally, a friend's boyfriend managed to download all 7
> Red Hat cds and he burned them for me in exchange for spare system parts
> I had laying around that I intended on building a system with.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:28:17 -0700
> From: Paul Hummer <paul at eventuallyanyway.com>
> Subject: [NCLUG] There will never be one OS to rule them all
> To: Northern Colorado Linux Users Group <nclug at nclug.org>
>
> I've been doing quite a lot of research on the topics we've been
> bouncing around on the list.  The recurring theme I see is that linux
> users like choices.  I stumbled upon this TED video today:
>
> http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/20
>
> I'm not sure if any of you have read an Malcolm Gladwell books, but he's
> very insightful.  We're not looking for the right OS, we're looking for
> the right OSes.  :)
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 03:49:14 -0700
> From: Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com>
> Subject: Re: [NCLUG] Re: Thoughts on Linux Users
> To: Northern Colorado Linux Users Group <nclug at nclug.org>
>
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 05:14:22PM -0700, Paul Hummer wrote:
>
>>>   2. You've probably had a "not-too-good" experience using Windows.
>>>
>> Only as many as my "not-too-good" linux experiences.  However, using
>>

> I've had way more "not-too-good" experiences with Linux than with Windows.
> Of course, I've used Linux a few billion times more than Windows in the
> past decade.  I've probably directly used a Windows machine less in the
> last decade than I use a Linux machine in a day...  I'm fairly sure that
> over half the Windows seat-time I've had in the last decade is just
> applying updates and rebooting...

> [...]
        Though "this is not 'Nam." and I do not condone breaking the
law, a disgruntled employee turned the ball company in to the software
police.  Ernie Ball had hired Microsoft certified consultants expressly
to manage license issues and got caught up by having active licenses in
use on several active machines, and, also, on inactive machines that had
been taken out service in the storage room at the back of the
manufacturing plant.  I do not condone misuse of licenses.  And Ball
doesn't either.  The management had made a good faith effort and it
still cost them because they had fallen short.  80% compliance simply
isn't good enough.  They paid the fine and legal fees for Microsoft
lawyers and court costs, removed all traces of Microsoft from their
business and regained their right to deny access to the software police.
        Now Ernie Ball Manufacturing is among the strongest of business
supporters of Linux, Open Office and all other  business applications
they need that operate in Linux.
This is not a story about the big bad monopoly.  It is about regaining
responsible control of the business environment by proper use of Linux.
I take this message seriously.  I doesn't make care for Microsoft
more...  than the plague.
       Google Ernie Ball...  I respect him and his company for dealing
with adversity and persevering.
        I wish we had more business use of Linux.  I commend NCLUG for
you leadership and voice in the community.  You are not alone in the
community in promoting more use of Linux.  It is the responsible thing
to do.
       Regarding the use of Linux in government, the City Manager is a
person I would start with in seeking support of reduced license costs of
computing...  and stretching the lives of aging equipment.  The idea of
limiting all governmental documentation to non-proprietary formats is
not only a good idea, but is essential for open government.  I'd work to
promote this idea through NCLUG and FRPCUG.
       Jim Bragonier, FRPCUG Secy. and Webmaster.