[NCLUG] Re: Thoughts on Linux Users

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Sun Nov 11 14:40:28 MST 2007

Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 06:12:49PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> I found this following article very interesting reading.  It ties
>> right in with what you are saying here.
>>
>>   http://articles.tlug.jp/Windows_Is_Free
>
> I found it quite interesting, too.  I don't agree 100% with the
> conclusions -- I think it's a case of trying to apply part of the answer
> to a question as the *only* answer[1] -- but it makes excellent points.
>

> [1]: I think the fact that MS Windows comes "free" with new hardware a
> lot of the time is about as big a contributor to the perception of MS
> Windows as "free" as the availability and ubiquity of "illegal" use of MS
> Windows.  In fact, I think the universality of preinstalled MS Windows on
> new computers helps contribute to the availability of "illegal" MS
> Windows installs -- after all, it is often illegal to give away a
> computer with MS Windows installed on it, even if it was legal to keep it
> and use it yourself, according to the licensing terms.  The line between
> legal and illegal use of MS Windows becomes hopelessly blurred because of
> ridiculous situations like that.

Yeah. There's a surplus outfit up here in Wyoming that's selling
machines with Windows, and often Microsoft Office, installed. I've
noticed that sometimes the hologram COA sticker matches the installed
OS, and sometimes it doesn't.

It doesn't matter to me, as I've put Linux on the boxes I bought from
them, but I suspect most buyers are using the "included" OS. I wonder
what the license status of these machine is.

I'd guess that when the sticker says "Windows 98" and XP Pro is
installed there is a problem, but I'm not sure about when they actually
match.

But as I said, it's strictly a curiosity issue with me.

beww