[NCLUG] Link for the Installing World of Warcraft with Wine NCLUG presentation

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Wed Nov 14 09:49:11 MST 2007

Lisa and I were speaking about this last night at dinner.  The biggest
reason I switched from my favorite distro Debian, to Ubuntu was the
package ages.  The ATI driver in Ubuntu's Gutsy apt repo is 8.39.6,
which is quite new (I believe the most updated is 8.42), so much of the
headache of installing the fglrx driver is gone by using apt-get install
linux-restricted-modules-generic

The other settings, like the registry entry and the Config.wtf file are
for your own good.  If you run WoW without them, you're probably not
going to have the best experience, and wine just might crash horribly.
Some of those settings tell WoW to use OpenGL instead of Microsoft's
DirectX, which wine is having a hack of a time trying to get working
(there's been talk of them abandoning it altogether).