[NCLUG] RE: Link for the Installing World of Warcraft with Wine NCLUG presentation

Lisa Joy medullaoblongata at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 18:26:27 MST 2007

Dennis Clark wrote:

>   That was incredibly detailed!  It was also quite daunting - Do you have
> any idea how much of that was dictated by running Debian and how much
> would change for a Ubuntu system?

Like Paul said, the Wine and Warcraft configuration parts will be the same on any distrubution.  As for the driver installation, at first I went all over the place trying to figure out how to install it.  I didn't have much luck with the drivers in the Debian repository or with the auto installer on the drivers downloaded from ATI.  So from trial and error, I found that building the packages from the downloaded ATI driver worked the easiest for me.

I'm not familar with any other distribution than Debian, but since Ubuntu is a derivitave of Debian, the commands I detailed might not be too much different.  The World of Warcraft section on the Ubuntu forums is quite active, so I'm guessing there is a ton of info out there if you run into anything odd.

The problem I had when I first took on the task of figuring out how to do everything was that most of the information wasn't very detailed and people would skip steps because they assumed you knew what they were talking about.  So that's why it might seem a bit daunting, but I wanted to make sure I detailed every step of the way so that anyone could follow, not just experienced Linux users.

Anyway, I hope that helps you out a bit.

--Lisa