[NCLUG] "Professionals" (Was "local-end user support")

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Fri Nov 16 17:00:38 MST 2007

>> Actually in the last 3 years I've led a business model of 'work ourselves
>> out of a job' at the majority of my clients, which has oddly enough worked.
>> I've gone from literally needing to spend 40 hours at one clinic, down to
>> about 7 hours a month (yes, I said month) by fine tuning things to that
>> point and teaching their users to be more self-sufficient.
>> It defies logic, but since starting this approach, we've taken on 5
>> additional high-end customers and I'm guessing we're on our way to crack 2
>> million in revenue this year...  not that I see much of that personally,
>> mind you, but it's not bad for a little three person shop that doesn't
>> charge enough for our services.
>>

> I've been known to define a true professional as someone who works toward
> the day when he's obsolete.  In other words, I think you're on the right
> track.
It's funny this should get brought up.  I've been doing a lot of
freelance work recently, which consists of lots of consulting, and
sometimes writing code.  A few times, my recommendations are not
implemented, and another idea becomes the direction.  I have learned to
not much care that they want to take the harder road, because it means
more money for me.

A perfect example:  A client wants to set up a web based CRM that their
clients can use.  However, instead of having me write one, he's opted to
license another CRM from another company (@ 5000 startup, $350/mo), and
have me create "front-ends"  for it.  However, the database is not
accessible to me, so all of the data has to be retrieved and manipulated
using xml-rpc.  So, instead of spending the time using an existing
framework to create a full CRM, I get to (a) write my own, or (b)
shoehorn an XML-RPC service client into another framework.  This will
probably end up costing more than just writing one from scratch, and
will cost more residually through support everytime the XML-RPC
interface changes (which, from what I have seen from user forums, it
does often).

As long as we have stubborn people who are trying to pinch pennies the
wrong way, I don't think I'll ever become "obsolete."  :)  Well, maybe
obsolete like old mainframes, but the old mainframes that people still
use because the upfront cost is too high to upgrade (even though they
lose the money quicker in the long run).

Thanks,
Paul