[NCLUG] Backup idea

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Oct 13 03:40:34 MDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 01:56:29PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
>That is a little vague, "you were out of luck."  Does that mean that

Yeah, intentionally so...  As I recall, if your snapshot volume ran out of
space, the snapshot would become corrupted.  The original copy was fine, it
was just the snapshot that died.  Which makes sense based on how it's
implemented.  I don't recall that I've tested it this millennium though.

>that now.  I think the logical thing for it to do would be to behave
>like a full filesystem.

So writes on your main file-system should start returning write failures as
if the disc were full, if the snapshot volume is full?  Not sure that'd be
good...

>Adventure in backups?  That is the one place where I usually want to
>avoid excitement.  :-) :-)

That's why you test it before deploying it in production.  We did and love
it...

 A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy.
                -- Joseph Campbell