For the love of Tuxie (was: Re: [NCLUG] Installfest anyone?)

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Mon Apr 7 21:59:57 MDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com> wrote:

> Chad Perrin wrote:
> > Umm . . . when did I say anything to the effect that we shouldn't put
> the
>
> I think what Jim was trying to convey, poorly due to having gotten up at
> the undogly hour of 5am that morning, was that it would be totally
> appropriate to have a Tux on the NCLUG shirt.  Obviously, we probably want
> to have the NCLUG on it as it is the group shirt.
>
> If we had a design which was good and didn't have the Tux, I would support
> it.  For example, Luke's shirt design from oh so long ago works without a
> tux.
>
> However, if the choice is between a clever shirt with a Tux on it and a
> white shirt with black letters "NCLUG" on it, I think we should take the
> better design.  If, through or irrespective of your feedback, we get a
> good
> design that has no tux on it, that's great.  And good silkscreening only
> requires a minimum order of around a dozen, so it's even possible that
> we'd
> have enough demand to do both.
>
> I understand and agree with the sentiment that NCLUG is about the people
> and the presentations.  However, the thing that brings us together is, no
> doubt, Linux.  It may not be why *YOU* attend, but it is what has kept us
> meeting regularly for over a decade and is the thread behind the
> presentations.
>
> That said, I think comparing Linux to MSN we can do without -- it just
> really don't serve a purpose.  I realize that that is not what you
> literally said, but I'm sure you could understand that there is some
> sensitivity among Linux folk to the invocation of the MS name and their
> network.  I don't know what you were (consciously or unconsciously) trying
> to do there, but I give you the benefit of the doubt.  But I have
> experienced BSD people who have some pretty hard feelings about Linux,
> like
> it's the "Microsoft of Unix".
>
> I believe we do *NOT* need anything even close to that sort of sentiment
> here, pointed towards or away from Linux.  It just serves no useful
> purpose, and in most cases is just a troll anyway.  To quote Buckaroo
> Banzai, "Don't be mean."

Well, when I suggested we might consider t-shirts for the install fest, I
was only thinking it would be nice to have something that identifies us a
people helping. Having NCLUG on there makes sense as that is the group we
would be representing. I kind of figured it would have a whimsical Linux
reference as well (not necessarily windows bashing) because t-shirts usually
have funny (or profound) sayings. I don't have any idea what that should be
as I don't know any funny Linux sayings. Although one of my favorites,
though not Linux specific, is "there are 10 kinds of people in the world -
those that understand binary and those that don't." Although I'm not
suggesting that one. It's just funny - to me.

However, it does seem like there are pleanty of people wanting some sort of
shirt. Lets see if we can't get one or two good designs to let everyone
choose from. Any one want to offer a design? I know it's short notice but
maybe the artists among us can bring someting tomorrow to pass around - even
if it's just a sketch.

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----