[NCLUG] Re: Ubuntu sound problems--another puzzle piece

danbob danbob at hughes.net
Sun Apr 13 10:09:13 MDT 2008

I think a well-supported PCI card is my plan now for sound in Linux.

I ran Windows to do some studio mixing last night....no sound in
Windows. It was working yesterday. Uh oh! And as usual, the "hardware
troubleshooter" had no advice.

What is was -- I recently installed a USB 2.0 PCI card because of a new
digital SLR camera here. I had noticed that the external USB 1.0 sound
card only worked through the onboard USB 1.0, but it still
worked.....for about 2 weeks.

Last night I finally had to go to the BIOS and disable all onboard USB
1.0, then uninstall and reinstall the USB sound card software from
scratch, moving the external card to the new USB 2.0. Success in
Windows.

AND NOW....no sound at all in Ubuntu, not even the .MOV and .WAV files
that were working before. I'm sure it's related....if Windows was
choking on my setup, I'd expect Ubuntu to choke also.

A new PCI sound is on the shopping list.....thanks all.

DAN