[NCLUG] Ubuntu 8.04 - CLI mode

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Thu Aug 7 20:17:33 MDT 2008

Rob Bayerl wrote:
> > a csh/tcsh profile.  Blech!  (Spits on the ground.)  Terrible shell.
> > Terrible shell scripting language.
>
> I think I knew that csh used .login at one point, but I am known for
> killing brain cells and unused knowledge is usually the first to go.

The worst thing is that for some reason at least one high profile IC
CAD vendor is in love with csh scripting.  They write #!/bin/csh
scripts as glue wrappers around their tools.  They assume that the
user is running [t]csh.  If this were totally internal to their tools
then it shouldn't really matter to the end user but unfortunately
things tend to spill out onto the user.  Therefore in the IC industry
the use of csh is often further propagated simply by this bad influence.

Bob