[NCLUG] Debian Lenny X.org issue

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Mon Aug 18 08:57:33 MDT 2008

This likely applies to more than just Lenny.   With X.org 7.3, all of
the info about screen modes is no longer in the xorg.conf file.

I know it is supposed to magically just work, but we have a monitor
that claims to do some resolutions and refr4esh rates that it only
does sometimes.  Most of the time it works fine at its maximum
resolution, but sometimes it loses vsync or hsync.

What I really want to know is some good techniques for limiting the
maximum resolution.  Anything below its absolute max it works fine,
but when the machine comes up, X defaults the the coolest thing the
screen can do, which sometimes it cannot do.