[NCLUG] power supply size

Matt Rosing rosing at peakfive.com
Tue Dec 2 14:09:36 MST 2008

I need to replace my power supply but I want to get one that I can use
in a new machine that I'll build in a few months. The last one I got
was 450 watts and it was complete over kill at the time. Now I look
and 450 watts is small. If I get something with an Intel core2 quad
running 2.5-3Ghz with 2 GB DDR3 memory, two sata drives, and nothing
special for a video card, what's a reasonable sized power supply? I
can get a nice, quiet 450 watt power supply for a reasonable price but
the price goes up fast for 600 watts and up.

Thanks,

Matt