[NCLUG] Re: xbox install - anybody got a dongle/game DVD

mrbrown8 at juno.com mrbrown8 at juno.com
Tue Dec 23 16:14:40 MST 2008

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:00:05 -0700 (MST) nclug-request at nclug.org writes:

> From: "John Gilmore" <jgilmore at glycou.com>
> Subject: [NCLUG] xbox install - anybody got a dongle/game DVD?
> To: "Northern Colorado Linux Users Group" <nclug at nclug.org>
>
> I have a xbox and was planing to install mythTV on it and use it as
> my media
> center. I recently quit working for TiVo, and so I had to give my
> TiVo back,
> and have nothing - my kids especially are disappointed. I have no
> intention
> of ever running any xbox games on it, the box should boot directly
> mythTV, so I'll be flashing the cromwell BIOS.
>
> I though I could just pull the HDD, dump linux on it and go, but it
> turns
> out that I need a certain game and a hacked saved game. Does anybody
> have
> those that I could borrow for long enough to flash the BIOS?
>
> I don't know if that will be enough though - the DVD drive on this
> xbox is
> reportedly not working... which may make it a lost cause anyway... I
> don't
> have any xbox games to test it with.

With the help of a co-worker, I modded my xbox to run XBMC. I ended up
buying a chip that helped to bypass the onboard BIOS.

I did hear about a couple of games that would help with xbox modding and
I did get a couple. Because I used a chip, I didn't try out using the
games. Plus I read a couple of places that mentioned that even for a
certain game to use, there may be various versions of that game that will
work and others that had 'bug fixes'.

That said, you're more than welcome to try out what I have:

Mechassault - Platinum Hit edition
007 Agent Under Fire - Platinum Hit edition
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

--
Curtis Brown  =8)
mrbrown8 at juno.com