[NCLUG] MythTV Questions

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Mon Feb 18 16:12:09 MST 2008

Alan Silverstein wrote:
> Chad et al,
>
>> Actually, I wasn't aware of that -- and I'm as annoyed about that
>> waste of my tax money as I am about the rest of this circus with HDTV
>> regulations.
>
> Eh?  Regardless of the politics of selling off airwaves, I think this
> one is not about tax money...  The coupons for conversion boxes ($1.5M
> total I think I heard) are probably paid for out of the income the bands
> will generate.

Much as I hate to defend a government program, doing it the way they
have is probably not a too terrible solution, given that the switch is
happening (not that I agree with that).

The certificates can only be used to purchase D-to-A converters, nothing
else, so folks are unlikely to apply for one (or two) unless they
actually plan to use them in the intended way.

Of course the manufacturers are hoping people will just go out and buy
HD sets. I tried asking a Circuit City "expert" about the certificates
and of course they knew nothing about them (or at least claimed not to).

I think it's more or less like the "lifeline" basic telephone service
intended for people on limited incomes - not used by many folks,
probably because it is not promoted at all.

The real beneficiaries are outfits like Sony, who not only get to sell
TV sets to millions of folks but also get to sell HD equipment to a lot
of broadcasters. They knew from their experience in Japan that people
will not rush out and by this stuff without "incentive", so they lobbied
Congress to provide it.

TV could have easily moved from the VHF to the UHF portion of the
spectrum without converting to digital, and all sets sold for many
decades can tune UHF.

The cost is not intolerable for TV stations in large markets, but it is
a significant burden for small market stations, which will have to be
passed along as increased advertising costs, which will be passed along
as...

beww