[NCLUG] MythTV Questions

Brett Johnson brett at hp.com
Tue Feb 19 12:33:54 MST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 08:47 -0700, DJ Eshelman wrote:
> First off-  never since the day I moved to Fort Collins eight years ago,
> have I gotten an over-the-air signal, SD or HD.  I've just never been
> motivated enough.  Are you people seriously telling me that you are not
> only able to get the whopping 3 English speaking channels we can
> actually get here, and you're miffed that the gov'ment is taking that away?

Heh, that's funny.  In the 17 years I've been in FTC/Windsor, I've never
had anything *but* OTA TV.  I currently get good reception for 12
english-speaking channels (16, if you count the duplicate analog/digital
signals I get for channels 2,9,12. and 22).

Personally, I couldn't care less what cable/dtv do, since I'll never
subscribe to them just to watch TV.  But I do care about OTA broadcasts.

> Now, there is a problem that I have currently, and it's a bigg'n-  You
> can't just take a true HD recording from a source like DirecTV HD or
> Cable HD and put it on a Myth box.  You also have no way to extract
> (digitally) recordings from the Linux-based DVR's these companies
> provide-

Hmm, so you're irritated at the jail-cell the cable company (or dtv)
puts you in then?  Me too -- it's the main reason I'll *never* subscribe
to cable/dtv service.

> *meh* I say to broadcast
> television in general.

Yet, you say "*meh*" to those of us who prefer not to share your nice
comfy cable/HD jail cell.  Well whatever, different strokes & all that..

--
Brett Johnson <brett at hp.com>
    Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)