[NCLUG] MythTV Questions

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 16:50:29 MST 2008

You know, I guess this thread is a good as any to ask this question, but
does anyone have any ideas about best price/performance video capture
cards?  Especially ones with component and Svideo INPUTS (lots have
outs, but I don't know what to do for ins).
Basically I've got a lot of VHS tapes that I'd really like to convert to
MPEG4 or H.264 files; has anyone had success/failures?  There's
obviously this list:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Video_capture_cards  but
I'm curious about local experience...  Obviously there's the option of
the Hauppauge PVR-150 at about $60 for SD captures and the PVR-150MCE-LP
is nice for low profile.  I was intrigued by the Plextor ConvertX (which
has hardware encoders, but I wonder how flexible/compatible that would be)

Oh, and I just noticed that the price on the AMD LE-1600 45W processor
is down to around $40- does anyone know if that would work well as
opposed to a VIA C7 for a fanless/singlefan box configuration?  As Paul
was saying- the big huge loud box usually isn't a big hit :)  Maybe
building a box with that would be cheap and quiet...