[NCLUG] ASUS eeePC

Goodman,Darrin Darrin.Goodman at ColoState.EDU
Thu Jan 3 09:58:33 MST 2008

I've been thinking about getting an Eee PC myself, although I may wait until the 8 GB version comes down a bit in price before buying.  As a bicycle commuter, I thought that the small size and the added durability (solid state drive) would work well for me.

There are some good reviews of the Eee PC on YouTube, such as this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMjIW5qyq3s&feature=related
Also, here is Compiz running on Ubuntu on the Eee PC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRP8fPcaSzI

You may be interested to know that there has been talk of a 10" screen model (Eee PC 1001), which is supposed to come out sometime early this year.
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/eee_pc_1001

I think that you are correct that Xandros is an offshoot of Debian:
http://futurist.se/gldt/gldt76.png

I too would be interested in knowing if anyone has had personal experience with using the Eee PC and if so, what are your thoughts and opinions.  Thanks!

- Darrin

-----Original Message-----
From: nclug-bounces at nclug.org [mailto:nclug-bounces at nclug.org] On Behalf Of Daryl Goodman
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 9:37 AM
To: Northern Colorado Linux Users Group
Subject: [NCLUG] ASUS eeePC

New to the group, hello.

Is anyone thinking about buying this new eeePC (small form factor
laptop). I was told the Linux on it is Debian based. This device may
help mainstream Linux, at least according to a couple of articles I have
read.

Here is one of the vendors selling it:
http://www.centralcomputers.com/corp/pages/ASUSeeePC.html

Here is the ASUS site:  http://www.asus.com/

I would like to see one before purchase.

Daryl Goodman

To unsubscribe, subscribe, or modify
your settings, go to: