[NCLUG] Debian Question

David Braley davbraley at comcast.net
Thu Jan 3 18:01:12 MST 2008

Matt Taggart wrote:
>> I know it sounds like I am just complaining and I need to learn some
>> patience, but it does bring up some interesting questions. Why the hell
>> is Linux getting so Huge? And why does it take so damn long to boot up?
>> Is it the Desktop system (Gnome, Kde, Fluxbox, well, technically,
>> Fluxbox is a window manager) that slows the loading of apps?
>>

> Yeah I suspect that's a big part. One of the other differences you are
> probably seeing is the difference between Debian's "start with a small base
> install and only install something if you need it" mentality vs the other
> distros(and Windows') "Here is a DVD/Set of CDs, install everything on them
> (and in some case disable it) so it's already on the system when you go to
> use it" mentality.

Matt, it would seem to me that installing a ton of stuff you don't use
would slow down updates as well. Hell, it might even make the machine
more vulnerable to attack due to the fact that the more apps on a
system, the more chances to find one that's broken enough to compromise
the machine. I don't say that with any real knowledge of how this stuff
really works.

David