[NCLUG] Debian Question

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Jan 4 05:00:03 MST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 04:47:30PM -0800, Matt Taggart wrote:
>for oldstable to newstable upgrades too. This is something that RH/SuSE has
>had problems with in the past (IMO), I have heard countless times "well I
>tried upgrading, but everything broke so I just reinstalled".  But like I

My guess is that most of those problems are caused by having "aftermarket"
packages installed on the system, particularly any packages that were done
with "--force" or the like.  Of course, users in the pre Fedora-Extras days
had little choice because the master repository was so limited.

This is just a guess as to what would lead to "everything broken" though,
because in my own updates I can't recall ever seeing anything like this.
The closest I've come is things like a new Apache config file being
installed and any sites under the old config not working until I merged
changes from old to new...

When we were doing KRUD, every version we put out was tested with Anaconda
updates from both the base Fedora release as well as the previous KRUD
release (including upgrades from, say, FC1 to FC2).  So, we did a *LOT* of
Anaconda updates, in the order of hundreds of them, and had very good luck
with it.

 It is far from clear whether "good intentions plus stupidity" or "evil
 intentions plus intelligence" have wrought more harm in the world.
                 --- Domer, The Logic of Failure