[NCLUG] downgrading libc6

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Mon Jan 7 20:59:06 MST 2008

> herb:/var/cache/apt# dpkg-scanpackages -m archives /dev/null | gzip >
> archives/Packages.gz
>
> Is there any problems I should be aware of with using the above
> command? It strikes me as inherently evil, but I couldn't tell you
> why.

Probably fine although I use the dannf prescribed method(tm)

  apt-ftparchive packages . > Packages

(from http://dannf.org/docs/backporting-debs.txt )

> I've got an error in a java application I'll attach the "log" file it
> gives.

You forgot the log.

> I suspect that it was caused by upgrading from
> libc6_2.6.1-1+b1_i386.deb
> libc6_2.7-5_i386.deb
> Though I couldn't prove it except by downgrading. I have a backup that
> works, I could try that chrooted, that may prove it... Nope, can't
> connect to the X server. (duh)

libc is the most critical userspace package, generally an upgrade of that
large a magnitude (2.6.1-1+b1 to 2.7-5) would only occur when going from
one release to another (or a really old unstable to a newer unstable), and
then you'd probably be upgrading the rest of the system at the same time.
While you can drop a newer libc on your system, you'd probably be doing it
for a reason like the newer applications you want require it. I suspect
that's what's happening in your case (the java thing).

So the java application you want to run requires a newer release than what
you have, so other than the piecemeal upgrade you already tried, additional
options are to upgrade your system to what that application requires, or to
see if you can get/build a version of the application for your current
release (this is sometimes referred to as a "backport", compiling newer
software on an older release of system libraries).

Java is one of those things that's still changing pretty fast in the Linux
world, I'm not surprised the application requires something newer. This is
a cost of using Java :P

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org