Fwd: Re: [NCLUG] Looking at programming languages...

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Jan 16 14:57:30 MST 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:38:44PM +0000, grant at amadensor.com wrote:
>>> incredibly difficult Perl to read, there is no reason that Perl code
>>> can't be written with the clarity of almost any other language.

>From my .signature list file:

The problem is, the people who would write "maintainable Perl" code
are programming in Python.  -- Dann Frazier, 2002

> My issues with PERL are the built in variables related to regular
> expressions are easy to get the wrong one, and that there are very

My biggest problem in Perl was that I always had problems passing a list to
a function.  The function always wanted to unpack the list into separate
arguments for the function.  I was never able to find the documentation
that appropriately educated me on what the story with passing arguments to
functions was.  This was back in 1996-ish, and I think I saw a reference to
some documentation that "fixed" this, but by that time I was too happy with
Python...

 I took a Meyers-Briggs personality test and came out an SMTP.
                 -- Sean Reifschneider, 2000