[NCLUG] Looking at programming languages...

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Jan 16 20:53:26 MST 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 05:37:07PM -0700, Chad Perrin wrote:
>Even though Ruby *does* exist, I may end up learning Python to a level of
>actual competence at some point -- so I know how you feel.

You know, I should probably admit that part of the reason I love Python is
just that I have such a large personal attachment to it.  I know and like
most of the people involved in it, I have commit privs so I can be involved
to whatever extent I can find the time, etc...  The language itself I think
is great, don't get me wrong.  When I found it back in 1997, I thought it
brought the fun back into programming.  I still feel that way.

I don't think Ruby is necessarily worse in this respect, I think it's
pretty similar.  I think what they've done with attaching code blocks to
arbitrary calls they are using quite nicely.  A lot of the features of Ruby
seem to have been inherited from things that I found questionable in Perl
(like $_, if that's not literally in Ruby ISTR that many of those sorts of
things were).

That said, I think Ruby is a great language.  I just prefer to focus on
Python.

Thanks,
 Today's robots are very primitive, capable of understanding only a few simple
 instructions such as 'go left', 'go right', and 'build car'.  -- John Sladek