Fwd: Re: [NCLUG] Looking at programming languages...

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Thu Jan 17 19:01:32 MST 2008

> Grammar:  Memorizing rules and facts.  In computer terms, this would correspond to learning basic routines, gaining experience with software, typing, and learning the parts of a machine.
>
> Logic:  At about the age of 12, abilities to evaluate and reason kick in.  At this stage, it's ok to teach concepts such as Boolean operators, especially if this is done with materials that children can actually handle.  If introduced properly, students will be able to use these reasoning tools for life.
>
> Production:  For most students motor-brain coordination happens between 15 and 16.  It is at this point that students attain the ability to consistently produce useful projects.
>
> How do i know any of this?  Worked as the computer teacher at a private school for 4 years.  Then, saw brain scans that absolutely validated the ancient system.

I do not expect them to be able to do much, and definitely not to be
proficient, however, exposure at this age will help begin training their
mind in this way so that when they are ready for it, they will have a
much easier time of it.

I started about 6 or 7, and was actually writing useful applications
(inventory tracking) by about 9 or 10.

If I could do that, others can too, and more importantly, they can learn
the concepts at a time when the concept that this logic exists can be
more easily absorbed.