[NCLUG] Looking at programming languages...

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Jan 20 20:30:52 MST 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 04:10:27PM -0700, Chad Perrin wrote:
>so that I effectively need Vim to be smarter about when it turns tabs
>into spaces and when it doesn't.  At least, that's how it looks when you

You would probably have to code this yourself in either vimscript or one of
the plugin languages, so that opening a new line (either with "o" or ENTER
at the end of an existing line) would literally copy the existing line.  I
would expect that would be possible, I've definitely abused vim in ways
that are well beyond just simple macros.

So, if it's important to you, you might be able to do that.  Maybe the
easiest would be to have a macro that runs that just sets expandtab based
on whether the current line has tabs in the beginning or not.

 It's not a recursive function except in the sense that it calls itself.
                 -- demoncrat on #python, 1999