[NCLUG] Looking at programming languages...

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Mon Jan 21 13:58:43 MST 2008

Chad Perrin wrote:
> It seems ludicrous that this sort of behavior isn't already available.
> It strikes me as the logical way to handle things -- more so than any of
> the options that are currently available.  Why must Vim assume that you
> don't know what you want, and change things -- either changing tabs you
> entered into spaces or changing spaces into tabs?
>
> Am I the only person who thinks this doesn't make much sense?

Software projects get created because someone has an itch to scratch.
Someone needs something that isn't otherwise available.  Or isn't
available in a way that meets their needs.  It isn't all that unusual
for people to find things that they think should be available but
isn't.  They create it and then it is available.  If you need it then
this may be an itch for you to scratch.

Bob

P.S. *I* don't need it because for me Emacs already works as I would
like it to work here.  The Emacs fill-adapt module by Kyle Jones
already does smart indention for me.