[NCLUG] Looking at programming languages...

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jan 21 17:49:48 MST 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 01:20:25PM -0700, Chad Perrin wrote:
>Am I the only person who thinks this doesn't make much sense?

The current vim semantics seem reasonable to me because:

   Autoindent is about indent levels.  Therefore, opening a new line should
   open it to whatever indent level you are at, using the indent semantics
   you have set.

   What is vim to do if you open a new line that has an indentation style
   different than what you have specified, and you want to dedent.  If you
   have a line prefixed with tab+tab+space, and want to dedent, what should
   it do?

To me, using your specified indentation style seems cleanest to me.

 <pyn> <Yosomono at efnet> dash: He didn't say it was in Python.
 <dash> yosomonmo: dude, this is jafo