[NCLUG] MythTV Presentation on Feb. 12

Charles Hutchinson chutchin at geekboi.org
Mon Jan 21 22:54:24 MST 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> Folks:
>
> Most of you do not know me. I became aware of the NCLUG several months
> ago but have been unable to attend meetings due to a conflict with a
> Tuesday evening class last semester.
>
> I have been working with MythTV for several years, and have been invited
> to give a presentation on it at the February 12 NCLUG meeting.
>
> Since we will be limited to an hour, I will dispense with showing how to
> install the underlying OS, as I suspect most of you can do that. I plan
> to go through the configuration of MythTV, that being where most new
> users have problems.
>
> If anyone has a specific question about MythTV, such as how to set it up
> with particular video capture hardware, or how to interface to a
> particular type of TV set or monitor, or perhaps how to get a particular
> type of remote control working, please feel free to email such questions
> to me prior to the meeting. If anyone has tried to get Myth running and
> run into problems, let me know before the meeting and I will try and
> make sure those topics are covered.
>
> I understand you folks generally meet casually after the meeting, and I
> would be happy to join you and discuss any topics we didn't have time
> for in the main presentation.
>
> If anyone is unaware of what MythTV is, you might start here:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall
>
> For background, I am a retired TV engineer, last worked for CNN in NYC,
> and am now living in Cheyenne.
>
> Looking forward to meeting you all.
>
> Brian Wood
> beww at beww.org

I am going to try to get up there for this one.

I believe I have found a perfect motherboard for my MythTV boxes.  It is
an EVGA E-7150.  What makes this board perfect is the built in HDMI and
DVI ports onboard.  No converters.  I run it's little brother (e-7100)
right now directly on my HDTV at 1920x1080.  The video requires the
newest Nvidia drivers to work and the sound took a newer set of packages
than what is included in Ubuntu 7.10.  Once all of that was setup and
the PCHDTV card was added I've got a great box sitting in my living room
 with a pretty good wife acceptance factor.

Microcenter is selling them for $119.

The only thing I have left to figure out on my box is the VFD/iR
receiver that this Antec case came with.

Charlie