[NCLUG] Copying a personal DVD

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Thu Jul 24 16:14:11 MDT 2008

On Thu, July 24, 2008 1:33 pm, bsimpson at att.net wrote:
> The reason I wondered about a difference
> in formats being more than just the data on the disk is that my
> video DVD recorder has slightly different options between DVD+R
> and DVD-R.  For example it will do "automatic chapter creation"
> for DVD-R (and DVD-RW), but not for DVD+R.  If it is just recording
> video data on a disk, why the difference?

The different formats having differing capabilities and/or timing
constraints for writing/updating data to them.

I'm slightly surprised that your system does automatic chapter creation on
minus and not plus - I would have expected it to be the other way around;
the plus discs are touted as being easier/more-accurate to update
individual sectors, which I would expect is the reason the recorder does
this on some formats and not others.

Of course, it could just be a QA validation thing; too many features to
test, too little time.