[NCLUG] Re: DSL Throttling or General Congestion?

bwood at beww.org bwood at beww.org
Sun Jul 27 13:18:57 MDT 2008

On Sunday 27 July 2008 11:52:47 Ben West wrote:
> the fact is, DSL is and always will be a shared-access medium, it would be
> fraudulent for them to sell you a higher service level, considering they
> can't currently provide you with your maximum allocation...  You're
> proposing to pay for a bigger buffet at a restaurant where they can't keep
> all the food-stations full to begin with....  perhaps if you need more
> bandwidth, you should find out if they have any dedicated-access options
> available?

A little OT perhaps, but:

I often read computer mags from the UK. I have noticed that the ads for DSL,
or any other shared service, always state the "contention factor". Not
surprisingly, service with less contention costs more.

But at least they are telling you what the situation is. I've never seen such
information in US ads, or even an admission that there is such a thing as
contention.

beww