[NCLUG] Call for Participation: Next NCLUG meeting: Your desktop habits.

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 13:57:58 MDT 2008

Perhaps I'm just used to a strict basic user audience.

It's funny- a few years ago I was hired to do Linux and Citrix stuff for
my company.  Demand has shifted to the degree that I probably only spend
about 1% of my time working with Linux at all (depressing, I know).
With Citrix and VMWare both pushing the VDI (Virtual Desktop
Infrastructure) concept- the term "desktop" has become an even more
fluid concept.  Or, take for example, the fact that at one of my
clients, I publish at least 5 'desktops' thru Citrix, each taylored for
specific needs but all basically Windows.
As we struggled to find terminology that worked for your average user,
and the best we'd come up with so far is to say "Company Desktop" or
"Accounting Desktop", etc.
So, with VDI already hitting it big in the corporate world as far as
managing Windows desktops, I guess I was just curious what other people
mean by 'desktop habits' as well.  I'd pretty much given up on using
Linux on the desktop entirely because frankly the demands of my clients
have been winning out and I don't have time to try and make the
millionth freakin .net management app (don't get me started) to run with
WINE.

That said- I appreciate Chad's definition.

I recently turned my roommate onto Xubuntu for his church- they're
loving it because it runs on some pretty old hardware and they can run
it legally.  So, I haven't given up on it 100% :)  Ironically, however,
the one issue they're having is getting it to run a projector for their
morning services.

I've been having the same kind of issues with LinuxMCE- trying to run
that 'desktop' in 1080p makes the fonts impossibly small to read...

I hope I can be there, actually- as this conversation has gone along
I've been really curious to see what the brighter minds in the group
(that is, brighter than mine) are doing as well.

-DJ