[NCLUG] DHCP Help

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Thu May 29 19:19:59 MDT 2008

> Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

How is your "proxy" doing this? DHCP requests are both sent and received as
broadcast traffic. Are you forwarding all DHCP broadcast traffic from the
other subnets to 10.147.0.11? How are the replies supposed to get back? I
suspect your dhcp server receives a dhcp broadcast request on an interface
and then looks to see what subnet the machine is using for that interface
and then uses that to decide what address to return. This is why it doesn't
work without your "dummy" entry, it doesn't know what to do.

I think you have it pretty confused and it probable should have just given
an error rather than the behavior you saw.

Probably what you want to do is either
A) multihome the machine on all the subnets
B) if that's not possible, look into proper dhcp proxies (meaning you have
machines running dhcp proxy software on each subnet and the one master dhcp
server talking to them)
C) some crazy ninja shite involving ipaliasing/vlans/tunnels/smart
routers/etc or something

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org