[NCLUG] V4L Snapshot help

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Thu Oct 9 22:41:35 MDT 2008

Rob Bayerl wrote:
> What card is the v4l device?  If unknown what v4l driver does it use?
> I would suspect it is RTJPEG, maybe image magick can convert it.
> Sorry I forgot mplayer doesn't do snapshots..

I'd think it was just raw, uncompressed frames, but I don't know what
the device is, as you pointed out.

I think he's on the right track with mencoder, or at least a correct track.

But compressing a stream of raw frames into compressed video, then
grabbing one of them and converting it to a still-frame format, seems
like going about it the hard way, but I suspect that with the available
CLI tools it's going to turn out to be the only way.

Some application that understood the raw frame format directly would
make more sense, maybe looking at the v4l code would be enlightening.
It's got to be a documented format or v4l wouldn't support it.

beww