[NCLUG] V4L Snapshot help

Scott Scriven nclug at toykeeper.net
Fri Oct 10 07:15:03 MDT 2008

* Grant Johnson <grant at amadensor.com> wrote:
> I am planning of capturing a shot of the prairie.  It should be
> kinda  cool this winter when things are ugly.

You might want to look at 'motion', available in Debian with
'apt-get install motion'.  Basically, you would just need to plug
in the camera, run motion, and tell it to dump the files to a dir
handled by apache.  Then you would have a system to serve the
following over http:

  - latest snapshot from the camera
  - daily time lapse movies of, say, 1 frame per minute
  - mpeg movies whenever there is significant movement onscreen

I hear motion has an optional web server these days too, in case
you don't want to run apache.

-- Scott